Dear OhioMTA Members,
I'm writing to ask your assistance identifying and nominating Ohio composers who may be deserving of our annual OhioMTA Commissioned Composer of the Year award. I’ve included easily forward-able information below to share. I hope you will consider making a nomination yourself or sending this information to other OhioMTA members who may have close contact with Ohio composers. Please do not hesitate to nominate yourself!
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Dr. Sun Min Kim
OhioMTA Commissioning Composer, Chair
MTNA (https://www.mtna.org) is dedicated to encouraging the creation of new works by American composers and annually assists its affiliated State Associations (Ohio MTA: https://ohiomta.org) with the generation and performance of new music through the national Composer Commissioning program.
Composers are nominated and then asked to submit materials for review. Upon selection, the State Competition's winning composer is contracted for a newly commissioned work to receive its premiere performance at the convention of the Ohio MTA. Commissioned works are also subsequently submitted to the national commission committee for consideration in the MTNA Distinguished Composer competition.
Nominees are solicited from the membership; a member or local association may nominate a composer, or a composer (OhioMTA) member may nominate themselves. The composer does not need to be an OhioMTA member, only the nominator does. Members may nominate as many composers as they wish.
There are no stylistic restrictions, but do note that submissions for consideration require a score and recording.
1. The nominated composer must be a resident of, or student in, the state of Ohio and at least 18 years old
2. Once nominated (see form template below), the composer will receive a request for materials.
2. Nominees must submit a recent resume/curriculum vitae, 2-3 different scores and recordings to the state Commissioning Composer chair.
3. Submitting scores in PDF format and electronic files (MP3) or links to online recordings by email is preferred.
4. Note: if electronic files/PDFs are not available, CDs and hardcopies of scores may be mailed to the address below.
All Ohio state nominations and materials must be received by the deadline in order to be considered: December 18, 2021.
Due to the earlier date of OhioMTA State Conference, the composer will have a shorter window to compose the commissioned piece.
• December 18. 2021 – Deadline for nominations/material submission
• January 4, 2022 – Recommendations made to Executive Committee
• January Meeting – Decision made by Executive Committee
• June 1, 2022 – Deadline for completion and submission of commissioned work
• June 24-26, 2022 – Premiere performance of commissioned work (OhioMTA State Conference)
Please bear with us as we update the Ohio Competition website, which will shortly provide more information: https://ohiomta.org/proposal-submission
To learn more about the National Distinguised Composer competition, please visit here: https://www.mtna.org/MTNA/Engage/Commissioned_Composer/MTNA/Engage/Commissioned_Composer/Commissioned_Composer.aspx
State nominations should be sent to the OhioMTA Commissioning Composer Chair, Dr. Sun Min Kim. Note that all materials should be received by December 18, so please submit your nominations ASAP so that we may request materials from nominated composers with ample time.
Nominating is easy! Just send the following information:
Email subject: Ohio OMTA Commissioning Composer Nomination
My name is ______________. I am an Ohio MTA member of the _______ district.
I wish to nominate _____________ for the Ohio Commissioned Composer of the Year. Their email is: __________.